Horizon Community college is committed to ensuring that all our students are school ready, work ready and life ready.
All students need to attend school. We believe high attendance plays an important part in the safeguarding of our children.
We closely monitor the attendance of our pupils and identify any attendance concerns. Early intervention strategies are in place to resolve attendance issues as soon as they arise. We are aware that absences may indicate a problem at school, home or both and act promptly to minimise impact on learning.
Attendance is directly linked to progress with learning. Students are required to attend school for 190 days each year. If students do not attend school every day, they are compromising their education and potential achievement.
Our goal is for every student at Horizon Community College to achieve 100% attendance.
MEET THE TEAM
Strategic Lead for Attendance
Senior Attendance Officer (Y11)
Attendance Officer (Y10 & Y9)
Attendance Officer (Y7 & Y8)
School Team - Attendance Leads
Attendance on a school day is compulsory. If you are not in school then you must have a justifiable reason for absence. Parents/Carers should inform the school absence line on the first day of absence via telephone and every day there after.
If your child is going to be absent for an appointment we would ask that proof of the appointment is brought into school well in advance (whenever possible). However, we would prefer that all appointments are made outside of the child’s timetable.
Parents are requested not to arrange family holidays during term time. Requests for leave of absence should be submitted on a leave of absence form that is available within school on request and should be completed well in advance.
Punctuality is an important part of self-discipline and is essential to good time management.
Always make sure that you are in the appropriate classroom no later than the times shown in the section on timing of the school day.
If you arrive late for school you shall be given a one hour detention that shall be served the following day after school.
If you arrive late to school due to attending appointments/ or any other reason then you must sign in at the student reception desk. You will be marked late in the register and will need a note explaining the reason for late arrival. If there is not justifiable reason a punctuality detention shall be issued for the following night after school.
If you arrive after the closure of the register it may be recorded as an unauthorized absence. All unexplained absences shall be followed up by staff in the attendance office with a call home.
Leave of Absence in Term Time
- The Anti-Social Behaviour Act (2003) provides the Local Authority, Schools and Academies the power to issue penalty notice fines for unauthorised leave of absence in term time.
- No parent can demand leave of absence as a right.
- Any request for leave of absence must be made in advance.
- The request for leave of absence should be made by the parent /carer “with whom the child normally resides”. If this is the parent /carer who is not taking the child out of school / academy, the full name and address of the parent /carer who is taking the child out of school/academy must be provided on the form.
- There is no requirement to authorise just because a request has been made. The amendments under The Education (Pupil Registration) ( England) Regulations 2006 make it clear that head teachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances*. *See Code of Conduct /Guidance relating to Leave of Absence
- The circumstances of each individual request for leave of absence will be taken into account on a case by case basis.
- The decision to approve / not approve the request is for the school / academy, not the Authority or the parent. Only schools/ academies can authorise / not authorise absence.
- If important work has been missed by the pupil due to the parents making a request for leave of absence the parents should not expect special arrangements to be made by the school/ academy for that pupil to catch up that work.
If you go ahead with the leave of absence when unauthorised, you may receive a Penalty Notice issued by the Local Authority. This penalty will be £60 per child if paid within 21days; payment after this time but within 28 days is £120
Failure to pay a fixed Penalty Notice will render you liable to criminal proceedings in the Magistrates Court under Section 444(1) of the Education Act 1996.
If you need to request a leave of absence please fill in the form and e-mail to email@example.com
Christmas Attendance Winners
Students that were in school every day between Monday 6th December – Thursday 16th December were entered into a prize drawer. Prizes available were five Google Chromebooks and one pair of wireless headphones per year group!
Easter ATTENDANCE WINNERS
Any student that attended school every day between 28th March and 8th April were entered into the prize drawer. Prizes available were five Google Chromebooks and give Easter eggs per year group. Well done to all winners.
Y11 In it to win it
Any Y11 student who attended school every day between May3rd – May16th was entered into the prize drawer to win one of five Google Chromebooks! Congratulation to our winners, what a fantastic prize, an excellent revision resource in the lead up to your exams!